I HEART Yoga ~ Crescent Lunge (High Lunge)
Join us for OMBE's first yoga challenge!
Enjoy an unlimited number of yoga classes for one month! Your pass begins the day of purchase. Passes can be purchased until February 14th. Purchase online by going to our Online Store – Series and Memberships - Yoga Classes - I HEART Yoga: Unlimited Class Pass.
Show your love for yoga and let the 14 days of I HEART Yoga continue with a little Crescent Lunge...
Low Lunge = Anjaneyasana --> Crescent Lunge is a variation of Low Lunge and more challenging as it requires more balance
Benefits of the Pose
~ Improves balance ~ Strengthens upper and lower body
Thighs | Groin | Abdomen | Shoulders | Chest
~ Heart conditions
How to Get into the Pose
1. Stand on a yoga mat with your feet side by side and your hands at your sides.
2. Step forward as far as you can with one foot, and then bend the front knee at a 90-degree angle and rest your hands on the floor on either side of your front foot. Be sure your front foot is directly under the front knee and that your back heel is "stacked" over your back toes.
3. Press downward through your groin to feel the full effect of this yoga pose. Exhale and inhale deeply several times. This is the low lunge position.
4. Engage the muscles of your lower back and abdomen as you raise your hands off the floor.
5. Raise your hands slowly from the position next to your foot, swinging upward in front of you with arms straight. When your arms are next to your ears, lift upward with the chest and then lean backward as far as is comfortable, hands continuing to reach upward. During this process you may find your feet and legs wobbling, so be sure to engage them to maintain a strong posture. This is the crescent lunge position. If you saw yourself in profile, your body would resemble a crescent moon. So now does the name make sense? :-)
5. Exhale and inhale deeply from the diaphragm in this crescent lunge pose for five breaths.
6. Step forward with your back leg as you bring your arms in front of your body in a prayer or "namaste" pose to complete the lunge set. Repeat the sequence again, starting with your other foot.
Finish with your mantra: "I HEART Yoga because..."
More about OMBE's yoga studio:
Visit OMBE's eco-friendly yoga studio overlooking beautiful views of Boston's Copley Square. Our yoga classes provide a welcoming atmosphere for students of all levels. OMBE's yoga instructors encourage students to develop their strength, flexibility, and balance as well as a deeper sense of relaxation. All yoga classes are limited to six participants ensuring that each student receives individual instruction.