Women's Health Book List: Breast Cancer Awareness Month
From the desk of Jessica L. Molleur, Lic.Ac., DNBAO...
In honor of breast cancer awareness month, I've put together a list of books covering a wide range of women's health issues and topics including infertility, endometriosis, PCOS, pregnancy, labor and delivery, breastfeeding, and much more. I hope by posting this list, I'll hear from many of you about your favorite health book related to these many issues, breast cancer, and more.
I want to highlight Christiane Northrop's book, Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom as she has devoted a section to breast health which of course includes many topics related to breast health including breast cancer. This is an excellent starting point If you are concerned about your breast health, if you have never thought about it before, or if you are debating the many care options available to women today. Whether you are a self-breast exam pro or have never had a mammogram, you should read this chapter and keep this book on your shelf for the many insightful chapters devoted to the female body.
Here's a few others:
· Northrop, Christiane. Women’s Bodies, Women’s Wisdom. New York, NY: Bantam Books, 2002.
· Agee, Eve. The Uterine Health Companion: A Holistic Guide to Lifelong Wellness. New York, NY: Celestial Arts; 1 Edition, 2010.
BOOKS ABOUT INFERTILITY
· Barbieri, Robert L., Domar, Alice D. Ph.D., and Loughlin, Kevin R. M.D. 6 Steps to Increased Fertility: An Integrated Medical and Mind/Body Approach To Promote Conception . New York, NY: Simon & Schuster, 2000.
· Lewis, Randine. The Infertility Cure: The Ancient Chinese Wellness Program for Getting Pregnant and Having Healthy Babies. New York, NY: Little, Brown and Company, 2005.
· David, S. Sami., Blakeway, Jill. Making Babies: A Proven 3-Month Program for Maximum Fertility. New York, NY: Little, Brown and Company, 2009.
BOOKS ABOUT PCOS
· Wright, Hillary. The PCOS Diet Plan: A Natural Approach to Health for Women with Polycystic Ovary Syndrome. New York, NY: Random House Inc, 2010.
· Harris, Colette., Cheung, Theresa. The Ultimate PCOS Handbook: Lose Weight, Boost Fertility, Clear Skin and Restore Self-Esteem. San Francisco, CA: Conari Press, 2008.
· Thatcher, Samual S. PCOS The Hidden Epidemic. Indianapolis, IN: Perspectives Press, 2000.
BOOKS ABOUT ENDOMETRIOSIS
· Ballweg, Mary Lou. Endometriosis. The Complete Reference for Taking Charge of Your Health. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
· Mills, Shepperson Dian., Vernon, Michael. Endometriosis: A Key to Healing Through Nutrition. Thorsons, 2002.
· Worwood, Valerie Ann. The Endometriosis Natural Treatment Program: A Complete Self-Help Plan for Improving Health and Well-being. Novato, California: New World Library, 2007.
BOOKS ABOUT PREGNANCY, CHILD BIRTH PREPARATION & HYPNO-BIRTHING
· Mongan, Marie F. HypnoBirthing: The Mongan Method: A Natural Approach to a Safe, Easier, more Comfortable Birthing. Deerfield Beach, FL: HCI, 2005.
· Balaskas, Janet. Active Birth: The New Approach to Giving Birth Naturally, Revised Edition. Boston, MA: Harvard Common Press, 1992
· Gaskin, Ina May. Ina May’s Guide to Childbirth. New York, NY: Bantam, 2003
Want to learn more? Schedule a complimentary consult to learn more about how acupuncture can benefit your health this year. Email firstname.lastname@example.org for more details.
Jessica L. Molleur, Lic.Ac., DNBAO
Jessica L. Molleur is a licensed acupuncturist, herbalist, and massage therapist in Massachusetts and California. She first became interested in acupuncture as a soccer player searching for an alternative to knee surgery and discovered the many benefits of Traditional Chinese Medicine. She holds a Bachelor of Science in Exercise Physiology from the University of California at Davis and a Master of Science in Traditional Chinese Medicine from the American College of Traditional Chinese Medicine in San Francisco, CA. Jessica is a National Diplomate of Acupuncture, Oriental Medicine and Chinese Herbology through the National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM). She is also a Diplomate of Acupuncture Orthopedics, a specialty certification held by fewer than 500 acupuncturists in the United States.
Jessica currently maintains a private acupuncture practice in Boston's Back Bay neighborhood, which was awarded Best Acupuncture Center by Boston Magazine. Areas of specialty include women's health, pregnancy, infertility, pediatrics, and sports medicine. If you are interested in learning about the benefits of acupuncture for fertility and IVF, please visit the acupuncture + fertility page. New patients can book online to schedule any acupuncture service including a complimentary consult. Jessica also serves as a health care consultant for a number of integrative medical institutes. Her clients include IVF and infertility centers, functional medicine offices, orthopedic facilities, concierge practices, and green spas. Please contact OMBE for more information about these services.
Prior to her consulting work, Jessica founded an integrative health center in Boston. The eco-friendly center was one of the first twenty-five companies certified as a Sustainable Business Leader in Boston. During its ten-year tenure, the center provided services including acupuncture, chiropractic, massage, naturopathy, nutritional counseling, personal training, Pilates, and yoga. Studio offerings included mom and baby programming, Mongan Method Hypnobirthing, natural childbirth education and the Holistic Moms Network. The center was the recipient of several awards, including Mayor Menino's Green Business Award, a multiple recipient of Boston Business Journal's Best Workplace, Boston Magazine's Best of Boston Award for Massage Therapy as well as Best Eco-Friendly Massage, Eco-Beauty Bar, Nutritionist, Personal Trainer, Pilates, and Workout.