I HEART Yoga ~ Wheel Pose
Join us for OMBE's first yoga challenge!
Enjoy an unlimited number of yoga classes for one month! Your pass begins the day of purchase. Passes can be purchased until February 14th. Purchase online by going to our Online Store – Series and Memberships - Yoga Classes - I HEART Yoga: Unlimited Class Pass.
Show your love for yoga and let the 14 days of I HEART Yoga conclude with Wheel Pose, but we'll start with Bridge first!
How to Get into Bridge Pose
1. Start lying on your back.
2. Bend your knees and place your feet on the ground hips-width distance apart. Make sure that your fingertips can graze the back of your heels.
3. On an inhale, lift the hips up high. If you can still see your knees lift the hips up even more.
4. Let your heart reach up and back while the tops of your thighs pull forward.
5. Your arms can lay at your sides or your can bring your shoulders closer together underneath you and interlace your fingers. Stay up for 5 breaths and lower down slowly.
6. Repeat if you wish. A block can be placed beneath the sacrum to turn this pose into a more restorative one. You will receive all of the pose's benefits with minimal effort.
Now, we go into Wheel Pose...
Urdhva Dhanurasana (OORD-vah don-your-AHS-anna)
Benefits of the Pose
~ Extends the thoracic spine ~ Lengthens hip flexors ~ Opens shoulders and chest ~ Strengthens arms, wrists, legs, buttocks, abdomen and spine ~ Increases energy and counteracts depression ~ Stimulates the thyrhoid and pituitary
Wrist | Arms | Legs | Spine
~ This is an inversion so it is best to do this a few times with guidance
How to Get into the Pose
1. Release down to the floor.
2. Bend your elbows and bringing your hands back by your head/ears and have the fingers point towards the shoulders. Activily pressing your feet and hands into the ground, begin to lift the hips up and bring the crown of the head onto the mat.
3. From there start to straighten the arms and legs bringing your entire torso off the mat and opening the hips, heart and throat.
4. Bringing the shoulder blades together and working from the legs start to press the heart to the wall behind you (which you are now looking at). Hold for 5-10 breaths.
5. To release first tuck the chin into the chest and roll down one vertabra at a time. To counter the backbend, bring the souls of the feet together and let the knees open out to the sides in SUPTA BADDHA KONASANA.
Finish with your mantra: "I HEART Yoga because..."
More about OMBE's yoga studio:
Visit OMBE's eco-friendly yoga studio overlooking beautiful views of Boston's Copley Square. Our yoga classes provide a welcoming atmosphere for students of all levels. OMBE's yoga instructors encourage students to develop their strength, flexibility, and balance as well as a deeper sense of relaxation. All yoga classes are limited to six participants ensuring that each student receives individual instruction.