Guest Blogger-Rachel Chemerynski
7 Ways To Nourish Your Mind, Body & Soul This Summer (While Having Fun!) Summer is officially here, and it’s feeling hot, hot, hot in the city! Along with humidity, BBQs and beach days, the new season also brings along a great deal of change. The days are longer, our bodies feel different, and our schedules are packed to the max! Now more than ever is the perfect time to slow down, do a mental check-in and really take care of yourself (mind, body and soul). Here are 7 simple ways to enter the season on a healthier, blissful note:
1. Set Your Summer Intention: New Year’s Resolutions and traditional goal-setting is so over-rated. Rather than focusing on how you want to look or what you want to do this summer, focus on how you want to feel. Do you want to feel vibrant? Sexy? Strong? Energized? Creative? Use this as a basis to set your seasonal intention. For example, you may say something like, “I want to feel strong and energized, and plan to commit to 3 yoga classes a week because my yoga practice makes me feel this way.” It’s your turn!
2. Embrace your body: I say this over and over again on my blog, and will continue to say it until I drive the point home for good: learn to embrace your body. With bikini season in full swing, we’re naturally inclined to pick our bodies apart, hating on our “fat thighs” or “jiggly arms.” This hate-talk is extremely detrimental to our inner wellbeing, sending the message that we aren’t good enough as we are. Would you ever say these types of mean words to your friends? I didn’t think so.
This summer, focus on embracing your body and owning who you are – you are so much more than your body after all! And on that note, beware on comparing yourself to your best friend or the Victoria’s Secret supermodel; we are all beautiful in our own way and comparison to others in our own worst enemy. Go ahead – throw on that floral bikini and over-sized beach hat, and rock it!
3. Ditch the Dieting: Everywhere I look, I see ads boasting the next diet or “7-day” fix. Newsflash: you don’t need to fast or go on a juice cleanse to get the ideal “beach ready” body. Sure, you could stay at home eating iceberg lettuce, while counting your calories and “points” all day, but is that really how you want to spend your summer? Here’s the thing: no amount of dieting is going to change the way you feel about yourself long-term. (Trust me, I’ve gone on my fair share of diet programs!) You simply don’t need ‘em!
4. Keep It Real: Instead of dieting, focus on filling up on real, whole foods, while paying close attention to what works best for your particular body.
Summer is one of my favorite seasons, since there is an abundance of seasonal fruits and veggies available at all times. Some of my favorites include cucumbers, leafy greens, snap peas, watermelon, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries. Try playing around with different produce, adding them to your smoothies, yogurts, or salads. Hit the farmer’s market, and fill your bag up with in-season foods that nourish your body!
5. Up Your H2O: Are you drinking enough water? While many of us intend to, we’re only human and sometimes it takes a little reminder. Aim to drink half your body weight in ounces, and fill up a reusable water bottle throughout the day to stay on track. Spruce it up a notch with herbs (like mint or basil), a splash of fresh juice, or seasonal fruits and veggies like cucumber, lemon or berries! Not only does water keep us hydrated, it also helps promote better digestion, clearer skin and mental clarity. Drink up!
6. Put yourself first: With seemingly never-ending cocktail parties, weddings and work outings, it’s easy to over-fill your schedule with commitments. However, it’s also extremely important you’re making time for yourself this summer. Prioritize your self-care by scheduling me-time to do things that make you feel good (like meditating, reading, cooking, painting or even taking a cat nap.) Set the date, put it in your calendar and stick to it!
7. Focus on the joys of the season: Above all, remember to have fun and appreciate the simple, little pleasures of the season! Take advantage of long, summer days by going camping, planning a picnic, hosting a patio BBQ or taking yourself on a date to the farmer’s market. Celebrate this season of love and endless possibilities…you deserve it!
If you enjoyed this post, be sure to check out Healthy Chick’s 21-Day Beach Confidence e-program beginning Monday 6/29. You can learn more and sign up here!
Rachel Chemerynski is a Boston-based freelance writer, Certified Health Coach and founder of Healthy Chicks. She shows women how to nourish their mind, body + soul so they can ditch dieting and depriving and start living a life full of bliss. Follow Rachel along on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for daily inspirations!